Should you walk 10,000 steps per day? 10000 steps challenge
You must have heard that walking 10,000 steps per day is good to keep you always fit and helps you to melt off your excessive body weights. But most importantly, is it only a fitness myth, or is there any evidence that proves it works? are you ready to take 10000 steps challenge?
If you recently got a fitness tracker and ready to set a goal of walking 10,000 steps per day, then it is good for you. But before setting any goal, make sure will it be appropriate for you? As it depends on your current health condition and fitness level.
So, even though you are a fitness Fricker, you should first know the importance of walking 10,000 steps before making it a priority to achieve a healthy life.
Where did the number 10,000 originate from?
You might be wondering where this particular number came from? Well, this concept of walking ‘10,000 steps per day’ first emerged in Japan.
However, you would expect the advice may come from a medical source or a government ministry of health, but this is not the case at all.
Surprisingly, it was a challenge that was first introduced to sell step counters in the Tokyo Olympics in 1964. Despite this fact, there was no such evidence to justify this attempt at that time.
After so many years, when fitness trackers were launched in the market, they also followed the same tradition. Even though it was entirely composed, it just seemed perfect for publicity purposes and proved itself to be a clear target to achieve for.
According to the studies, “10,000 steps per day” is not a magic figure, but it’s a wise decision to determine your daily step count and figure out your present steps per day as a benchmark. Then, every two weeks, try to add 1,000 more steps before reaching your target of 10,000 steps.
After all, research says that it would be an outstanding way to enhance your overall health and make yourself fit by reducing your extra body fats if you increase your step count day by day.
If you already end up taking more than 10,000 steps per day or physically active and dedicated to losing weight, you can regularly increase your target of walking more steps.
Is it necessary to walk 10,000 steps per day to make you fit and healthy?
Walking 10,000 steps per day has gained lots of popularity as a healthy resolution. A pedometer company first developed it in Japan to promote their brand. While still, it is not the only way to stay healthy and fit, performing your regular exercise also matters.
The particular number 10,000 steps were not discovered through any research or experiments, Walking clubs implemented it as a fitness myth, and it grew in popularity. Now, most fitness trackers and pedometer applications use 10,000 steps as a standardized goal.
Studies have shown that the more steps you take each day, it would be healthier you. Striving for 10,000 steps a day, depending on your current fitness level, is a perfect way to inspire yourself to achieve more and make yourself active while you waste time sitting leisurely. some activity is indeed better than no activity
You could achieve a noticeable or significant change overall in your body and your mind as a result. While you will reach the 10,000 steps per day, then try to increase more steps. Studies show that the number can indicate your current fitness level, which meets a fair amount of daily physical exercise to minimize almost every health risk.
How could be walking 10,000 steps is beneficial for you?
If you need extra motivation to put on your walking shoes, you must see the lengthy list of health benefits you can achieve due to walking 10,000 steps per day. If you go out on a 30-minute walk daily, it can improve your cardiovascular system, make your bones strong, reduce your extra body weight, and elevate your muscle power and stamina. It will also lower the chances of contracting diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, and cancers.
Not only does your body gets profit, but your thoughts and feelings also. For example, walking can boost your mood, improve your focus, and enable you to relieve your anxiety or stress. Besides that, it will help you improve your view of life by increasing your faith and self-esteem.
Is it a challenging task to walk 10,000 steps per day?
If you are looking at the point of view of achieving a healthier body, it should be a standard goal. However, it is not a challenging task to perform but if you find any difficulty walking 10,000 steps per day, then start with the little steps and then add more steps over time. You will be surprised to see the result of your improvement day by day.
Spend some time walking regularly and try to accomplish your goal of 10,000 steps per day. It’s an excellent way to get plenty of health benefits through walking. You don’t need to try for the 10,000 steps first; start where you are and steadily boost your activity week by week.
Even if the walking speed is not good enough to count it as an effective exercise, those steps will keep you away from getting the complications arising from sitting too long during the whole day. It would be best to incorporate some daily exercise into your schedule.
One day you may think it’s tough to achieve, so keep trying your best and wait for the result. If you take it as a challenge, then you should overcome this challenge with positive results also.
Why should you try to walk 10,000 steps per day?
Movement is a fundamental part of human existence, and our bodies need it. If we sit like an aimless person and spend wasting our time, our body and mind also follow the same thing, which is not good for anyone.
If you don’t stay active and physically strong, then several diseases and depressive symptoms can arise in your body. Not only, it impacts your physical strength, but also it will slow down your mind. Here are some of the reasons why someone would try to start walking 10,000 steps per day.
- Walking can improve your energy level and boost your mood
Instead of sitting and doing nothing, if you try to start walking more steps, it will be equivalent to your physical activity, which is the best way to boost your energy levels in the body and deal with anxiety or depression. It also makes your heart strong and enhances blood circulation.
Besides that, Physical activity causes the release of important neurotransmitters in our mind, such as dopamine, serotonin, endorphins, etc. These hormones play important roles in our mood regulation. So, if we walk and stay healthy, it will naturally show its effective results through our body and mind.
- To make you active and fight against sitting.
According to the research, it is found that sitting leisurely is bad for everyone. It is even more dangerous than smoking, and it kills more people than cancer and HIV, like deadly diseases. If we sit in this way and don’t take a step, it will be equivalent to our death.
Now, most of the employees spend their 10-7 life sitting at the desk only and keep staring on the computer screen which is not a healthy posture to achieve a better life in future. So, for them win the fight against sitting is very much important.
- To achieve more health benefits.
The most important reason for which you should start walking is mentioned in the following. Just have a look:
For beginners, doctors advised walking 150 minutes as a moderate-intensity exercise per week, which equivalent to 20 minutes of exercise daily or 30 minutes of exercise most of the days. If you are walking 10,000 steps per day, you are probably reaching the milestone by a considerable margin, and it would be best to enjoy more benefits for your health listed below.
- Increase the health of your heart and lungs-Physical exercise regularly helps to circulate the maximum amount of oxygenated blood in your body. The movement function tends to strengthen the associated muscles of your lungs and heart. It makes you fitter and improve your heart and lung health.
- Helps make you stronger and more flexible– Physical exercises help improve your muscle growth and make your bones stronger.
- Control blood sugar and reduce blood pressure- Enhances more glucose and oxygenated blood in your bloodstream and allows insulin to work effectively to control your blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Keeps away from deadly diseases like cancer, HIV, Diabetes -Walking 10,000 steps a day helps you stay away from the diseases that can cause death. It will make you strong and helps to elevate your immunity.
- Increase your determination and focus- Physical exercise stimulates the production of feel-good hormones (such as endorphins) and improves blood supply to the brain, resulting in higher cognitive function. It helps to enhance your concentration and productivity.
- Relieves your stress and boosts your mood- We have already mentioned that physical activities help release some hormones that make you happy and helps to relieve your stress.
- Helps in weight loss- Increasing physical activities will help you lose your extra weight to make you active and healthy. When you do nothing, it makes you unhealthy and helps to gain more weight. But when you do physical exercises, it makes your muscles strong and helps you to burn calories.
How to achieve 10,000 steps a Day
Let’s see the best ways to accomplish 10,000 steps per day in the following:
- The activity tracker will be helpful- The activity trackers will be excellent motivators for you to accomplish your goals of walking 10,000 steps. Being able to see your performance during the day will be a great way to strengthen your confidence. It will keep you focused on your goals and motivate you to strive for the next one. Now activity trackers are available extensively with more advanced technology such as mobile apps, smartwatches, etc.
- Keep focused on your goal- If you never use an activity tracker to track your steps, then use it for the first few days and observe you’re normal activity levels during walking. Spend some time getting to know how many steps each activity is worthwhile. If it looks difficult for you, then start with the small goal. Then try to improve your activity day by day.Every little improvement will help you to stay focused on your goal and inspire you to go forward.
- Make a competition between your friends or family- Go for a friendly competition with your friends or family. It will help you to make you motivated to achieve your goal.
- Don’t forget to set a reminder to make you motivated in your goal- You should set a few alerts or reminders through your smartphone or fitness device to encourage you during the whole day.
- Choose the best option and include more steps to stay active – Avoid the easier options and choose those which will make you stay active during the day.
- Take stairs without using the lift.
- Take a walk to your office instead of driving a car
- Take your dog for a walk
- try to take a walk instead of riding public transport
- Park your car away from your office that you can get the chance of walking
- Go out with your friend for a scenic walk and relieve your stress
- Walk inside your room while talking on the phone
- Play some outdoor games with the kids
The challenge is not about walking; it is all about getting more movement through physical exercises and walking more steps. Start with the few steps and achieve walking of 10,000 steps quickly.